To maintain your stone in a good condition, there are several things that should be considered:
Avoid leaving containers directly on the countertop. Containers such as olive oil bottles are often hard to keep completely dry, acetone from fingernail polish remover can remove your sealant, cosmetics and beauty aids may contain chemical residues on the outside that will react with your countertop over time. Leave these types of containers on a shelf or in a cabinet.
Use a cutting board when preparing food. Cutting directly on the Granite will damage your knives. In Quartz due to the softer resin binder that holds the stone matrix together, it is not completely immune to scratching.
Not put Hot pans directly on the countertop. One of the benefits of Granite countertops is that you can place hot pans directly onto them without causing a burn mark or “thermal shock.” The worry would come from a sealant that is not rated for high heat. Quartz countertops are not as heat-resistant as granite. So it’s really recommended not to put the hot pan directly on the countertop to prevent any problem.
Apply a granite sealant to your countertop if needed. Quartz and some granite does not need to be sealed. How to realize?
To test if your granite requires a sealant you will need water, lemon, and baby oil and a sample of your stone.
Lemon juice can permanently damage stone that contains calcite.
Only use this test on a sample of stone you do not care about.
Clean countertops after each use. One of the important steps in preventing stains is to clean up spills. This is especially true for liquids with a deep color like red wine on a lighter granite. Lighter granite is more likely to absorb stains.
What kind of detergent to use?
What is so important is this fact that some stones can be damaged by highly alkaline or acidic chemicals like drain-clog dissolves as well as solvents, bleach and abrasive cleansers (the latter can dull the shiny surface). Therefore it’s so important what kind of cleaners is used.
There are various products and brands, here we mention just few of them.
3-In-1 Stone Countertop Cleaner
16oz. Aerosol Can113M cleans, polishes and protects your beautiful granite countertops, all in one step, ensuring that the beauty and richness of your countertop will last for generations. Regular use of 113M makes surfaces easier to clean and leaves a water-resistant protective coating to safeguard against spills, hard water dark spots and etching.
Safe and Easy to use:
Simply spray directly onto the surface and buff with a clean cloth to a lustrous shine.
- Recommended for both indoor and outdoor applications (do not use on floors as you may risk slipping and falling)
- Use daily – regular use of 113M makes surfaces easier to clean
Perfect for everyday use, 113M is formulated to keep natural and engineered stone surfaces, such as granite, marble, quartz, limestone, travertine, Corian®, Silestone®, ceramic and porcelain sparkling clean and looking brand new.
- Non-toxic, biodegradable
- Non-acidic neutral and gentle non-abrasive formula
- Fresh lemony scent
- Leaves a pleasant velvety surface touch
113M conditions natural stone surfaces to restore, maintain and enhance their reflective luster and beautiful rich colors.
- Leaves no buildup, streaks, residues or greasy film
- Resists fingerprints and smudges, prolonging your stone’s reflective properties
- Also cleans, polishers and preserves the high luster of stainless steel, aluminum, brass or chrome appliances, faucets or fixtures
413S Professional Impregnator
413S Professional Impregnator is a highly effective silicone impregnator designed for the Stone Professional. 413S is fast and easy to apply, cures quickly and offers the ultimate in long term stain protection on all stone surfaces. 413S is exceptionally effective on polished granite counter tops.
413S leaves the stone looking completely natural and is UV resistant.
- Stain protector for polished stone
- Recommended for professional use
- Great for polished granite
- UV resistant
- Allows stones to breathe
Coverage Area: 150 to 200 sq. feet per quart depending on porosity of stone.
DuPont™ StoneTech® Professional Natural Stone Countertop Sealer
Where to Use
Natural stone such as marble, granite, limestone, travertine, slate, flagstone, saltillo and sandstone.
Features and Benefits
- Advanced protection against oil- and water-based stains
- Can be applied to damp surfaces
- Great for backsplashes and shower walls
- Water-based formula
Read entire label before using. Use only as directed. Always test in a small inconspicuous area with a 24-hour cure time to determine ease of application and desired results. Allow new grout installations to cure for a minimum of 72 hours prior toapplication. Make sure surface is clean and free of waxes and coatings. Sealer may be applied to damp surfaces 1 hour after standing water is removed. Surface temperature should be between 50°F and 80°F. Ensure that the area is well-ventilated during application and until the surface is dry to the touch. Keep children and pets away from area until surface is dry.
- Mask off and protect any surfaces not intended to be treated.
- Liberally apply an even coat on surface being treated.
- Allow sealer to penetrate the surface for 15–30 minutes while spreading sealer over surface to ensure even penetration.Remove excess sealer by wiping entire surface thoroughly with clean dry towels.
- Apply second coat as needed for porous,absorbent surfaces 30–40 minutes after first coat, following directions in steps 2 and 3.
- 15–30 minutes after final application, wipe entire surface with clean, dry towels to remove any excess sealer. To remove any residue, reapply a thin coat of sealer, wait 2–3 minutes, and then rub lightly with a white nylon pad. Wipe again thoroughly with clean, dry towels.
- A full cure is achieved after 24–72 hours. Surface may be used in 6–8 hours.
- Clean tools used during application with water.
DuPont™ StoneTech® Professional Natural Stone Countertop Cleaner
Where to Use
Natural stone such as marble, granite, limestone, travertine, slate, sandstone and Zodiaq®. Ceramic tile, porcelain tile and grout.
Features and Benefits
- Cleans everyday messes
- Neutral, gentle formula
- Great for countertops, stone and ceramic tile floors
Read entire label before using. Use only as directed. Be sure surfaces to be cleaned are swept or vacuumed to remove loose debris. Avoid skin and eye contact with product. Wear protective eyewear and gloves when handling concentrate. Keep children and pets out of the area during application and drying.